Japanese Curry :: カレー :: curry de japon
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 1T neutral oil
- Chicken: sliced breast or thigh
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4C chicken stock
- 1/4C sake (optional)
- 1/3C soy sauce
- 1/4 C curry powder
- Sliced or diced: cabbage, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and/or potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1tsp ginger
- Heat oil in the pot. Add chicken, cooking until opaque – about 2 minutes.
- Add onion, cooking until it begins to soften.
- Add curry powder, combining it with the chicken and onion.
- Add chicken stock, sake, and soy sauce.
- Add vegetables, potatoes, garlic and ginger.
- If using the Instant Pot: seal and pressure cook for 5 minutes. Allow for natural steam release. (If using quick release option, add 2-3 minutes to the pressure cook time). If potatoes are not tender, pressure cook for another 2 minutes, using the quick release.
- If using stove: cover pot and bring ingredients to a boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover, and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve over warm steamed rice, or udon noodles.