Chili Pepper Sausage :: ナポリタン :: chorizo
Prep Time: 5 -10 minutes
Neutral oil for the pan
1/2 onion, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2-3 Bell Peppers, sliced
Large can of chopped tomatoes (or 1/4 C ketchup; 1/4 C sake & 1/4 C milk)
1/4 C red wine (optional)
Dash of red pepper flakes (optional); grated cheese (optional)
Sausage & Peppers can feed a crowd! It can be made ahead-of-time, and put into a crock-pot / slow cooker for an easy buffet-style self-serve. (Also, it can be made in the pan for an easy weeknight meal!) Serve with pasta, or on an Italian roll.
- Heat oil in the pan, add sliced sausages.
- Add garlic, cook until fragrant.
- Add onion, and bell peppers. Cook until onions are beginning to turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes, simmer about 10 minutes. Add dash of red wine (or sake).
- Serve with spaghetti or Italian sandwich rolls, add red pepper flakes or cheese as desired.
Kidwise: This is super easy to pick apart. The plain pasta is obvious. My son likes spice, so I can easily pull out some sausage slices for him, or work around the vegetables for some , more-or-less, plain tomato sauce. My daughter is a lot more sensitive to strong flavors, but I have been able to slip a little sausage into a giant roll, which helps to neutralize some of the stronger flavors.