Corn Soup :: コーンスープ :: sopa de maíz
Prep Time: 5 minute
- 4 C chicken stock
- Neutral Oil for the pan
- 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/4 onion, chopped, on 1/2T onion powder (optional)
- Large can of corn
- Salt & Pepper
In a pinch, I have made this soup with just the chicken stock and corn, with a kind of “consommé” result, or maybe a “no-cream creamed corn” …
- Chop (or blend) garlic and onion.
- Place about 1/2-to-1 Tablespoon of oil in your pan, heat on medium.
- Cook onion until it’s translucent. Add garlic, cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock, stir-in garlic and onion. Bring to a low simmer.
- Add corn, cook until warm.
- Add salt & pepper as desired.
Kidwise: My family used to live in Japan, so we became used to drinking our soup from the side of the bowl. We enjoy this soup in that same fashion (although my children do like to scoop and slurp the corn with a duck spoon 😉
Variations: 1) Purée the corn, adding milk or oatmilk for a creamy texture; 2) garnish with turkey, chicken, ham, bacon, and/or potatoes.